The Exploring profession is the exploration of unexplored planets and derelicts. Derelict exploration brings XP, blueprints, loot items and CR (more if you have a Grav Sled, see Equipment). In opposite to activities like combat or mining, derelict exploration does not use fuel after the initial derelict scan. The player's character leaves the ship and moves around the derelict using stamina (which refills with time like fuel).
- Stamina replenishes 5/15 minutes and starts at 100/100. The CE store offers boosters to increase your maximum stamina to 200.
- Health starts at 100/100 and DOES NOT replenish naturally. To replenish your health you must use med kits during derelict exploration. basic medical kits can be puchased at Sven's Barter. The CE store offers an account upgrade, which will add a 10 health/15 minute regen to your account.
How to get started
You need five(5) things to get started with exploring:
- Docking Collar - Small - Player Made - specials
- Basic Medical Kit (Personal)s - from Svens Barter Store - misc
- Derelict System Scanner T1 - Player Made - systems
- Basic Personal Space Suit - from Svens Barter Store - misc
- Oxygen Bottle (Small) - from Svens Barter Store - misc
Once you have these items, find the green Derelict Scan (found while undocked away from a jumpgate next to the Combat Scan button), and use it. Keep in mind that all derelicts that share the exact name share the same layout. When you have found a derelict you wish to explore, enter it. Once you're suited up and inside the derelict, you may start exploring. From the lower left, you should see an option to Search Room you are in, attempt Derelict Hacking, use Derelict tools, use Derelict weapons, a medical interface, an option to bug out, then to the lower right, 6 buttons to 'move' your character. Each action except medical interaction will consume one stamina, one to two oxygen, and in return you'll get an event, good, neutral or bad if moving or searching a room, or allow your luck a chance to shine if you have tried to hack or use tools. From these events, you can gain (or lose) XP and credits, or lose health and stamina.
Note that you have a limited maximum amount of stamina, which will regenerate over time.
Besides the mandatory equipment mentioned above, the Grav Sled (Small) allows you to move any rare resources found on a derelict to your ship is strongly advised. If you plan to really get into exploring, you'll definitely want one of these, and a quick side trip to Aurelia in the Furnace to pick up a derelict-related mission from Jenny. Additional gear that you may seek are tools, which in my opinion, are more of a hassle than they are worth, will include Gyro Spanner (Tool), Electrical Scanner S1, Diagnostic Sensor G1.
Fitting the Derelict System Scanner T1 requires only that you are level 10 or higher, and 25 scan tech.
DOs and DON'Ts
- Try to get a grav sled asap
- Acquire a level head
- Search every room
- Make sure to remove and add new oxygen and med kits when they run out. They are consumable items though, so once removed you lose whatever remaining amount was on it.
- Wait to explore until you have enough stamina to do a worthwhile exploration. Small derelicts can usually be fully done on 80 stamina and 50 oxygen
- Search the same room twice - you will lose stamina and O2, but get only a few words out of it.